Friday, March 27, 2009

Tim Ries @ Alfama Restaurant!!

Not to long ago, while performing at Alfama Restaurant, I was taken by surprise when, just in time for my last Fado session for the evening, Tim Ries, the Saxophonist for the Rolling Stones walks in the restaurant to enjoy some Fado. I had seen Tim Ries perform with Ana Moura back in March. Tim Ries worked with Ana Moura and many other successful world musicians in "The Rolling Stones Project," so imagine the pressure I felt when I performed in his presence!



After I performed, I sat down with him and his lovely daughter and we spoke of Fado in the United States. He was surprised to know how many guitarists we have in the United States and how big the Portuguese community is throughout the U.S. and how much they enjoy and support Fado.

My friend Carlos Ferreira, correspondent for the newspaper "24 horas," happened to be there that night and took the opportunity to write about it. (Thanks Carlos!)

That evening was truly special and Tim Ries was so awesome and down to earth. I can't believe I was sitting at a table with a man that has traveled the world with one of the biggest rock bands in history and that has worked with some of the biggest names in world music. This kind of thing doesn't happen very often!! Definitely one of the coolest things to happen to me during my Fado career; Yes, a simple conversation with Tim Ries!!

No comments: