Monday, July 7, 2008

Summer of Fado...


It's been awhile since I've posted anything, but as the summer approaches, the sound of the guitars are drowned by the huge outdoor festivals in celebration of other Portuguese events. Even though things have been pretty slow on my end, the Fado world has been restless...

Raquel Tavares has recently released her second album, "Bairro," which includes a bonus DVD featuring her interpreting some of the tracks off her new album as well as an interview. I ordered her CD online and have yet to receive it, but from what I've seen on youtube, it's another step forward for the latest "revelation in Fado," Raquel Tavares. I've read articles about her performing in South America, but unfortunately I have yet to learn of any performances in the United States. :( Oh well, I'll just have to keep on watching her videos... Here's the video clip for her first single off her latest album, "Rosa da Madragoa.



Mariza has recently release her fourth album entitled "Terra." From what I've heard so far from the four tracks she's uploaded on her myspace profile, she seems to be stepping into other genres of music, such as Morna from Cape Verde, Flamenco from Spain, and even a taste of rumba on her first single off the album, "Rosa Branca." Her cover of that song is brilliant and it's been in my head since last Tuesday. She will be performing her new set on over 100 stages around the world and hopefully I'll be able to go see her when she comes to New York City.




Something I'm extremely excited about is that a movie based on the life of the late Diva of Fado, Amalia Rodrigues, has recently began its production and is said to be the most expensive movie ever made in Portugal! The movie will tell the story of Amalia's life, fame and pain. I think it's great that they're doing this, especially now that Fado seems to be getting more and more popular amongst the Portuguese population themselves. Production has already began but hopefully the movie will premiere in time for the 10 year anniversary of her death which will be October 6, 2009.



As for me, I had anticipated to dedicate a lot of my free time this summer to begin thinking about the possibility of a second album. So far, I'm still waiting for the free time... But Fado has been on my mind however and this weekend I had the pleasure of having a mini Fado Session with Sr. Viriato, Michael Da Silva, and Diogo Arsenio in my own backyard. Usually my agenda is free of performances in the summer but I just returned from Provincetown and in August I will perform in New Bedford, Massachusetts for two nights and I will fly out to California once again for a private event. I have some mini Fado plans and projects that I hope to get through this summer and I'll be sure to keep you posted as I go along...

No comments: