Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What is Fadó?

Ever search for Fado on the Internet and run into a promotion of an Irish Pub called Fado'? Since it's not what I'm looking for, I usually just ignored it, but last weekend at a performance for a private event in Connecticut, I met an Irish man who asked me the meaning of Fado and I explained it translated to fate or destiny, but after recognizing his accent, I asked him the same but what was its meaning in Gaelic and he told me the meaning was "long ago" usually said while starting an old Irish story... So there you go, now you know!

3 comments:

Ned Usa said...

Fado...wow that doesn't sound very Gaelic. but what do I know?

I bet it was awesome.

cookingwithdadtv.com said...

This is an interesting topic, If you look into the Gaelic history, you will find that the early Gaelic tribes were in Northern Portugal & Spain and eventually migrated to the British Isles of Ireland & Scotland. The bagpipes are a still played in Northern Portugal and are a very big part of the music & history of Northern Portugal.
So the link continues with "FADO"

Janine S. Domingues-Vasquez said...

We have a Fado Irish bar in Philadelphia, PA and when i first heard of it I thought of Portuguese Fado too!