Thursday, June 28, 2007

W Hotel - Union Square, NYC!

What an experience! I will never forget this event. It was like a scene right out of a movie. This event was so important to me that I even got my make-up done! I felt like a star.

First of all, I love New York! Any trip to New York is automatically a great one. When I arrived at the W Hotel, I couldn't believe that places like that really existed... The hotel had grass inside; Yes, grass! 5 estrelas! A "standard" hotel room was more luxurious than any other hotel room I have ever seen before. I met with so many wonderful people. I owe this night to Sra. Enca Melo, who took a chance on inviting me without ever having heard me before. She made me, Sr. Viriato and Sr. Silva (the guitarists who came to New York from Massachusetts and Rhode Island and missed a day of work just to accompany me) feel at ease throughout the whole event. This event was a "Starwood Hotels" promotion for Spain and Portugal and I represented Portugal. I met with people from Tap Airlines, various reporters, the Portuguese Ambassador for the United Nations, and many other people who were simply fans of Fado. I sang for about 40 minutes and it flew by so quickly. I couldn't believe it was all over. But when it was I received an invitation to sing at the United Nations in October! I was blown away. I was smiling so hard the whole night, my face started to hurt. After the event, I went up to Sr. Jose Silva's room to change clothes and I climbed out the window to see the view of Park Avenue (from the 19th floor) and it was beautiful with all of it's lights (from the buildings and traffic) and lightning behind the buildings from far away. It was the perfect way to end the evening. I had the time of my life. I will never forget this performance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.