Monday, June 25, 2007

Provincetown!

On Friday night, after 8 hours on the road I finally arrived in Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts for their Portuguese Festival! It was about 2am and even though the whole town was asleep, it was beautiful. All you could see were dunes and stars. (I also saw 2 shooting stars!)

The next morning I woke up early, had breakfast outdoors and rented a bicycle to discover the town on my own. I stopped at The Pilgrim Monument were I ran up 60 ramps and 116 steps to see the breathtaking view of all of Provincetown. It was so great because I could hear the "castanholas" from the "rancho" dancing on one of the streets and I could see all of the Portuguese flags waving around the town and of course all of the boats and the ocean. I spent the rest of the afternoon going to shops and watching the Provincetown Portuguese Parade. At 7:30 it was time for the Fado event of the festival where the audience can enjoy a free performance and some wine on the waterfront. The performers included Celia Maria, Daniel Guerra, Tania DaSilva, Jose Carlos, Jorge Ramos, and I as fadistas and Manuel Leite, Jose Silva, and Viriato Ferreira on the guitars. Ricardo Farias of Radio Globo presented the show and of course it was thanks to Liliana De Sousa who organized the event that I participated in the festival. The event attracted a big audience of around 600 people and lasted about 3 and 1/2 hours. It was a wonderful evening.
After the show, I enjoyed the Bossa Triba and the Berkshire Bateria Samba who performed on the street and it was a great way to end the night. The musicians were amazing and had the whole crowd dancing. I've never seen anything like it. The trip was so much fun and I definitely recommend Provincetown to anyone that is looking for somewhere to escape to from their daily routine.

No comments: